Prologue

What if God has come again? And, what if He opened a blog? And, what if this was it? Would you believe? Read on...

Monday, February 7, 2011

I am all Hopped Up on Goofballs

I had a great day today. I got my disability benefits reinstated and I went and got my prescription for Modafinil filled at the pharmacy. (Thank you to my great doctors at Dr. Murphy's clinic on Granville Street).

So, I am all hopped up on my stimulant medications and can now think and write clearly. It's been about three or four days now that I have gone without stimulant medication and I have been reluctant to add any more scenes to my book for fear that in that stupor of half wake/half sleep I cannot write comprehensibly. I feel so much better knowing that I can think straight.

I read some reviews of books in the Georgia Straight and the Westender, a couple of local and free rags here in Vancouver, and I have been inspired somewhat by what I have read about other peoples writing.

I am having a problem giving this book a traditional narrative structure because it is, for the most part, not a novel but, a memoir or a biography. Having read the review of the book Soul Mining written by Daniel Lanois and reviewed by Alexander Varty in the Georgia Straight has reminded me that a book such as mine does not have to be altogether in any order but, can also be a collection of memories written as haphazardly as the author of Soul Mining, Daniel Lanois does in his collection of memoirs.

That is great news for me. As, more and more parts of this book come to me in any particular order while I am sitting on the bus or waiting in my doctors or going to the store. I am always saying to myself 'Oh, that's good. That's going in the book' but, on coming back to my blog later to add all those different thoughts, like this one, they have no narrative structure to fill.

Thus, many go unwritten as I look to my my list of scenes and realize that there is no room for these soliloquies alongside the structure of the story. Thank G-d for the blog. It makes adding a collection of thoughts possible as I drive the narrative forward.

In keeping with my new rituals of adding at least the beginning of one new scene a day to this book of mine I am going to review my list of scenes to write and add another one right now. See you in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Epilogue

The beauty of being a writer in a free state is the freedom to tell the truth of a tale as the tale itself offers it's bold truth to the writer freely. The virtue then of a free writer in a free state thus can be all bold. And, the duty of the bold, free state can then be to allow the beauty of the truth, as boldly offered to the writer by the tale itself, thus be told.

Norman Christian Hoffmann